Updated: May 1, 2020
I was fairly young, when the film Namesake was released (2006). In those days, I used to fight a lot with my parents. Looking back, I understand those adolescent streaks, but it must have been painful for them. There was a sense of being misunderstood and lost in generations in my head. That led me to reduce their importance in my life, and I started looking for external validations from friends, for important decisions.
This scene from Namesake changed my life, It transported me back to the time, when my parents took me around India, and showed me the country. They inculcated in me what we very popularly know as 'wanderlust' now. Between two generations - theirs and mine, there is a tension. A tension of knowing from the experience and trying to experience for the first time. This tension sometimes pull us apart, but what we need to see through is the intention of those who love us. Rarely does this happen, when the 'what' becomes more important than the 'how'.
I don't claim to be perfect in dealing with my parents even now. We do hit roadblocks sometimes and we argue it out. But, I know, deep down inside, that the intention is of helping me, and not stopping me.
Video: Being Bong Chronicles, Youtube
Namesake was largely shot in New York and Kolkata. I have shared a lot of images and stories of Kolkata on this blog or on my social media. So this is a short tribute to Irrfan Khan, the actor, through split-screen images of the places you must visit, if you are in New York. I took these images on my last trip to USA, A year back. Do notice the combination of two pictures. They all tell a connecting story. I have also shared the life philosophy, Irrfan taught us, through his meaningful cinema. Each of these quotes from his wonderful movies like Namesake, Life of Pi, The lunchbox, along with the pictures, will tell us something, we all should be reminded of, as travellers and life-explorers.
1. “Pack a pillow and blanket and see as much of the world as you can.You will not regret it.”
- Namesake (2006)
2. "Life is very busy these days. There are too many people, and everyone wants what the other has. Years ago, you could find a place to sit in the train every now and then, but these days, it's difficult..."
- The Lunchbox (2013)
3. “Now I will turn miracle into routine. The amazing will be seen every day. I will put in all the hard work necessary. Yes, so long as God is with me, I will not die. Amen.”
- Life of Pi (2012)
4. "Sometimes the wrong train takes u to the right destination"
- The Lunchbox
5. "Doubt is useful. It keeps faith a living thing. After all, you cannot know the strength of your faith until it has been tested."
- Life of Pi
6.“I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye.”
- Life of Pi
Hope we continue to explore the world and within ourselves.